Once upon a time, there was a very poor family that lived on a small island. One day a young boy, a member of the family found a mirror on his way home. He did not understand the thing. He just picked it up and put into his pocket. When he got home he hid the mirror behind a cupboard. Two weeks later, his mother found the mirror and she was very surprised when she looked at it. She had no idea what it was. The only thing she saw was the face of a woman. She looked again. It didn’t change, it was still the same. The woman became angry. She thought her husband had another wife. The woman couldn't wait. She shouted at her husband, "I have something to ask you."
"What is it Honey?" the man asked.
"I want you to tell me the truth. How many wives do you have?"
The man was very shocked. He had no idea what his wife was talking about.
"Don't try fooling me because I've got proof," the woman continued.
"Show it to me. What is that thing?’
The man's face became red. The woman took the mirror and showed it to her husband.
"Who is this?" the woman asked. "Ah! Tell me now, who is this?"
The man looked at the mirror and he was shocked when he saw a face of a man.
"For God's sake! Who is this man?" he yelled.
"Ah! I did not say man. I said a woman."
"Come on, have a look, this is not a woman." the man yelled.
She took the mirror and she looked again. It was a woman.
She gave it to her husband and said, "It is not a man, it is a woman."
"Right, let's have a look together," the man said.
So, the couple both held the mirror lifted it up and they saw two faces. They both looked at each other and then looked at the mirror again shook their heads and laughed.
"It’s you darling, It is a mirror and that's our faces," said the man.
They both sat down apologised to one another about the misunderstanding that made them both wrong.
故事的含义/短句的意思：This short story reminds us of our everyday life experience. We are all human in the sense that we have weakness or times that we fail to do good. We strive to live in what it means to be perfect but we never find that perfection.作者: gdutang 时间: 2006-4-29 15:38
第2句：Plenty Of Fish In The Sea
oh yeah, plenty of fish in the sea.
对这句印像特别深刻。 半工读时，空闲时间和老板谈起女朋友这些话题，老板说了这句 “plenty of fish in the sea", 俺第1次听，因为很象形，1下子就领悟了，报以会心1笑。
English explanation: This saying is often used to console a person who has lost a girlfriend or boyfriend.
中文翻译：天下何处无芳草。作者: gdutang 时间: 2006-4-29 15:41
Two's Company; Three's A Crowd
We say "two's company; three's a crowd" because sometimes two people are having fun together and would not have as much fun if a third person joined them. Example: "I hope he does not come over to our table; two's company; three's a crowd."
English explanation: a group of two people is comfortable; a group of three is not comfortable ...
中文翻译：2个和尚抬水吃，3个和尚没水吃。作者: gdutang 时间: 2006-4-29 15:50
1.A cruel man abandoned his wife and son. Above all, everyone must abide by the law . So he was arrested. But the trial came to an abrupt end because of the man's absence. It was said he was mentally abnormal and was set free according to one law! What an absurd judgment! That's absolute nonsense! The angry people thought this bad law ought to be abolished to keep the judge from abusing his power. Fortunately, the boy's mother was able to afford enough money for the boy to go abroad to study. The moment the son was about to go aboard the ship, they kissed good-bye with tears. The boy went to an Academy of Technology successfully. No one could doubt his ability to learn abstract knowledge. He was absorbed in knowledge so much, just like dry sand absorbed water. His teacher really appreciated his complete absorption in his studies. So he supplied the boy abundant books for study, which accelerated the boy working harder.
was able to能
was about to aboard即将上船
was absorbed in专心于
accelerated促进作者: gdutang 时间: 2006-4-29 15:52
2. Miss Austin was a strong woman. By investing wisely, she accumulated a fortune. One day, Miss Austin met a young man by accident. Their meeting was quite accidental. It was time of the Olympic Games, so hotel accommodations were scarce. The young man saved his room for Miss Austin politely. If she sang, he would accompany her on the piano. Because of his politeness, his strange accent was acceptable. Later, Miss Austin employed him as her assistant. He became accustomed to his job quickly. If she asked him to buy some accessories for a car, he would accomplish the work soon in accordance with her orders. So Miss Austin trusted him more and more and even one day the man had access to her bank account number. Miss Austin' detective showed her an accurate report to warn her of the man's cheating. He advised, “You must act accordingly.” Miss Austin took his suggestion into account. The young man was asked to account for his cheating. He explained he made a mistake on account of his illness. According to his behavior, he was accused of incompetence..
became accustomed to习惯
in accordance with与…一致
had access to可以获得
took …into account考虑…
account for 说明
on account of因为
accused控告作者: gdutang 时间: 2006-4-29 15:53
3. It's the age of advertisement. The ad companies have acute senses to activate the public to like the products the sports players recommend. If a woman has been acknowledged as the best tennis-player in the world, she can acquire a lot of money from advertisements. Of course, she must pay some additional charges as taxes to the Tax Administration. Usually,the woman will adjust herself to the change of her life and soon she will adapt herself to it. As a sports player, her earnings isn't always adequate to meet her needs. In addition to a beautiful house, she also wants to buy luxury cars. It's normal that a famous sports player's cars add up to five. In addition, some rich sports players liked to buy acres of land as their properties, thus they can have their outdoor activities conveniently. Sometimes some acquaintances of the sports players are popular too because their house are adjacent to the players. Their houses adjoin the players', which make them proud and happy. An adjective for this phenomenon is, “snobbish”.
In addition to另外
add up to. 合计
In addition, 除了…之外
adjective 形容词作者: gdutang 时间: 2006-4-29 15:53
4. It was advisable for an old couple to adopt an orphan, as they had no children of their own. Everything had been fixed in advance. Their kindness was an advantageous condition, which gave them an advantage over other applicants for the adoption of a little boy. The boy grew up quickly under affection, but his behavior was not particularly adult. That was a common mistake among adolescents. Soon, the boy gained admission into the Aesthetic College. The college was affiliated with a famous university. The affair affected all who knew the boy. He won the admiration of people. In the college, the professor he met first was an advocate of truth. He ignored all kinds of adverse comments about him. In the class, the professor taught the students how to use an adverb in the sentence. After class, he told them about his adventures in aerospace, and he showed them some aerial photographs. He also took advantage of some advanced instruments to make experiments. His new product was so promising, that his students decided to advertise it for him. The boy enjoyed his study very much.
5. Mr. Bacon used to be a music CD agent. He got the job through an employment agency. By accident, he heard some African music. The music was agreeable to the ear. From then on, he was in an agony of longing. Africa was a mysterious land attracting him. His heart agitated for adventure. Mr. bacon had a friend name Jack. Jack was an alert alien. They were much alike in character. Both of them never touched alcohol. Both of them were aggressive, but Jack was stronger. In the 400-meter match , he got ahead of Mr. Bacon every time One day, Mr. Bacon received airmail from Jack. In the airmail, Jack described the beauty of Africa. Mr. Bacon affirmed that what he said was true. Three days afterward they met at the airport. According to the agenda, they arrived in Africa the next day. They found that the lack of rain aggravated the serious shortage of food. The agricultural commodities were deficient that year. There were rumors in the air that it was punishment from God. Next, on the way to hotel, they were shocked to see a dead man on the road. They alarmed the police at once and waited for the aid from the police. It's really a bad journey!
培根先生曾是一个音乐CD的代理商。他通过一个职业代理处得到这份工作。偶然地，他听到一些非洲音乐。那音乐非常令人愉快。从此，他陷入了热望的苦恼中。非洲成了一块吸引他的神秘土地。他的心煽动着要求冒险。培根先生有一个名为杰克的朋友。杰克是一个机灵的外侨。他们在性格方面非常相像。两个人都不沾酒。两人都很好斗，而杰克更胜一筹。在400米赛跑中，每次都是他领先培根先生。一天，培根先生收到了来自杰克的航空邮件。信中，杰克描述了非洲的美丽。培根先生肯定他说的是真的。三天以后他们在机场碰头。按照议事日程，他们第二天到了非洲。他们发现干旱使食物短缺加重了。那年的农业产品不足。有谣言在流传，说是来自上帝的惩罚。接着，他们在去旅馆的半路上震惊的发现一个死人。他们立刻向警方报警并等候援助。这真是倒霉的旅行！作者: gdutang 时间: 2006-4-29 15:54
6.The college admitted Steve when he was 15. The news was all over the small village.Not only he himself,but also his parent felt happy for this. They always fought alongside him. There was a bill along with the college notice, which upset them. The family was not rich at all; they had no radio, let alone a television. But they went all out to afford the higher education for him. After all, they had only one son. Fortunately, the college made allowances for Steve's situation and awarded him an allowance of five thousand dollars. When everything was all right, Steve went to college. In all, there were 30 students in his class. Steve learned a lot at class. He knew brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. Besides this, he knew sometimes hemp was used to alleviate pain. Also, he could read the Latin alphabet correctly. Steve liked all the subjects but history. He had heard enough such as “Britain in alliance with France once defeated a number of smaller countries.”, “Britain was an ally of America in both World Wars. They were allied countries.”, and so on. But allowing for the graduation, he still got A in every subject. The teacher allocated duties to all the students evry Monday, and Steve always finished his part first. So the teacher alleged that Steve was the most promising student in the class.
英语学习没有捷径，如果有那也是不懈的努力...there is no short-cut for learning English,if any that would be non-stop trying...作者: gdutang 时间: 2006-4-29 15:55
7. In Paul's youth, he had the ambition of being a famous basketball player. As an amateur, he found great amusement in playing basketball. An ambitious boy usually worked hard until one day he broke his leg. The ambulance drove along with noisy whirling whistles toward the hospital. His parents alternated in looking after him. Once he recovered, Paul amended his life goal. He began to have interest in political affairs. At the age of 40, he was appointed ambassador to Britain. He told the news to his girlfriend at once and he proposed to her. He said to her, “My dear, my savings amount to 300 thousand dollars. We have ample money to decorate our wedding room. I just bought an amplifier yesterday. And I prefer to an ampere meter being made of aluminum even though it has analog to another one. ” But he was amazed to hear her ambiguous answer, “Maybe….”. Paul had no alternative but to wait. There were a few alterations to the timetable and the next month he flew to Britain. The airplane flew at an altitude of 20000 ft. Paul felt something wrong and soon lost his mind. When he woke up, he was told that the airplane had crashed and he broke his leg, once again! By analogy, we could guess that Paul would amend his life goal once again!
hopes never die,where there is a will there is a way
梦想不会破灭，它升起在希望的土地上作者: gdutang 时间: 2006-4-29 15:56
8. The Smiths lived in the apartment above ours. It was said that one of Mr. Smiths' ancestors was a great chess player. A chess player must have an analytical mind. Mr. Smiths lived on his annual pension . Apart from that, he had no private income. His wife, Mrs. Smiths was an announcer on TV broadcast. And she once helped us to fix the television antenna. Their daughter, June, was as lovely as an angel. Once she hurt her left ankle when her parents were not at home. My wife sent her to the hospital in a hurry. All of us often sat side-by-side and chatted one with another. Sometimes we would discuss some ancient history. Sometimes we would play games one after another. On their 10th anniversary of marriage, the Smiths received an anonymous letter and then made a decision. That is, they would start on Antarctic expedition. Since they anticipated that they might meet many difficulties, they would leave June with us. June was annoyed at their decision. So her father comforted her, “View it at a diffierent angle. You needn't have anxiety about that. I was anything but a hero. Anyhow we just want to realize our dreams since childhood. ” Finally, June accepted that.
史密斯夫妇住在我们楼上的公寓里。据说史密斯的一位祖先是一个很著名的象棋手。一个象棋手必须具备分析的头脑。史密斯先生以每年的养老金为生。除去这个，他就没有其他个人收入了。他的妻子，史密斯夫人是位电视台的播音员。有一次她帮我们修理电视机天线。他们的女儿，琼，像天使一样可爱。有一次她父母没在家时她伤了左踝。我的妻子急忙把她送到医院。我们大家经常坐下来互相聊天。有时候我们会讨论一下古代历史。有时，我们会一个接一个地玩游戏。在史密斯夫妇结婚十周年纪念日时，他们收到一封匿名信后做了一个决定，即是，他们将进行他们的南极探险。因为他们预料会碰到许多困难，他们将琼留下同我们待在一起。琼对他们的决定感到很生气。于是她的父亲安慰她：“从另一个角度看这件事。你对此不要太忧虑。我根本不是英雄。无论如何，我们只想实现自孩童时期就有的梦想而已。”最终，琼接受了这件事。作者: gdutang 时间: 2006-4-29 15:59
9. The show would approximately begin in five minutes. It's apt to rain that afternoon. The television men had set up their apparatuses. Some appliances were made of stainless steel. Last week, Grace's first appearance failed. There was no apology needed. People's disappointment was already apparent. She was so sorry that she had no appetite to eat. Grace appealed to her friends for help. Thus she got an appointment with the appointed director. The way was applicable. The director was not easily approached. But Grace's appropriate attitude and clean appearance impressed him. Although he had received twenty applications, he agreed to give her another change. Grace appreciated his help very much. And now, Grace's second performance won the applause of the audiences. She was loudly applauded.There was an appreciable difference between her two performances. The final list together with an appendix would be sent to the manager for his approval. Grace waited for his appraisal with agreat deal of apprehension.
to speak English well ,first one needs confidence...作者: gdutang 时间: 2006-4-29 15:59
10. The Arabian Nights’ Entertainment is very interesting. One of them was a story about an outstanding architect named Ralph. He was good at arithmetic since childhood. And at the age of 20, his opportunity had arisen. The king asked him to design a palace roofed with an arch. On top of the arch, there would be an artificial arctic bear. It’s architecture of great artistic value. The king and the architect arrived at the agreement without argument. Before Ralph finished his work, he saw the princess. Even a flower was not as beautiful as she. Once he saw her, he felt as if he were drunk. As to that, he hadn’t thought of his social rank. Love was important for Ralph as well as for the princess. As for her, she felt as though Ralph were a member of her family. One evening, Ralph articulated his love to the princess. She arranged with him to meet at her bedroom. The next day, the princess aroused him just before dawn. But the arbitrary king had arrayed troops and he ordered the soldiers to arrest him. Luckily, the princess shot an arrow to stop them in time.
i am going to keep things like this------一切如常，一如既往作者: gdutang 时间: 2006-4-29 16:00
11.Sandy was an Asian. The local theare associated with other business establishments to discriminate against Asians. Every one aside from Asians could get into the theatre. Sandy was stopped too. But his angry aspect frightened the entrance guard. That evening, several Asian students including Sandy assembled in the campus. Each student had been assigned to a job. As for Sandy, he was to make an assault on the theatre. In the middle of the night with a loud"bang", the theare was burned to ashes. Sandy assisted other students to swim ashore. A helicoper was waiting for them. But Sandy stayed alone. He watched the helicopter ascend higher and higher until it disappeared. The police was going to ascertain the truth and they arrested Sandy. On the court, Sandy made a speech to assert his innocence. He assumed his action would arouse attention to race discrimination. But his assumption proved to be wrong. No one assessed his speech at its true worth. The court simply put him into prison. Sandy asked for a meeting with his parents. They came with tears. They had brought some easily assimilated food for him. Sandy asked them to ask after his grandmother.
桑迪是个亚洲人.当地的剧院联合其他营业机构歧视亚洲人.除了亚洲人,其他所有人都可以进剧院.桑迪也同样被阻止了.但他那生气的样子吓坏了门卫.那天晚上,包括桑蒂在内的几个亚洲学生在校园里集会.每个人都分配到了一项任务.对桑地来说,就是要袭击剧院.在深夜,"砰"一声巨响后,剧院被烧毁成灰烬.桑地帮助其他的学生游上岸.一架直升飞机上升越来越高直到消失.警察要查明事情真相,于是他们逮捕了桑迪.法庭上,桑迪发表了演讲来宣称他无罪.他假定他的行为可以唤起人们对种族歧视的注意.但事实证明他的假定是错误的。没人评价他演说的真正价值.法院只是简单地将他关入监狱了事.桑迪要求与他的父母会面.他们含泪而来.他们带来了一些容易消化的食物给他.桑迪请求他们代他向祖母问候作者: gdutang 时间: 2006-4-29 16:01
12. An Australian, Mr. Mason, was charged with being in debt! On the day of trial, there was a great attendance at the court. Every audience was attentive to what he said. Mr. Mason used to be an athlete. But he had a dream of being an astronaut. In his mind, astronomy had atom theory were much more attractive than sports games. He paid attention to all kinds of space information. And he borrowed too much money to rent a spacecraft. But he hadn’t paid off his debt yet. Mr. Mason gave assurance that his debts should be paid soon. His sincere attitude was so moving that he attained his freedom. But he attributed this to his attorney. After that, Mr. Mason worked in a store during the day. And he augmented his income by teaching in the evenings. He used tapes as aural material to teach English. By the end of that year, he paid off all his debt. So Mr. Mason decided to cross the Atlantic Ocean as a trip. He attached a label to his baggage then went aboard. It’s a day of nice atmospheric pressure. He was astonished to feel the atmosphere of peace and calm on the sea. It reminded him of his dream again!
一名澳大利亚人，梅森先生被控欠债！法院审判的那天，许多人出席了。每个听众都很留神他说的话。梅森先生曾经是个运动员。但他的梦想是成为一名宇航员。他的概念中，天文学和原子理论比体育比赛要有吸引力多了。他注意各种各样的太空信息。并且他借了太多的钱来租一条太空船。但他迄今还没有还清债务。梅森先生保证很快会还清。他那诚恳的态度如此感人，因此他获得了自由。但他把这归于他的辩护律师。那之后，梅森先生白天在一家店里工作，晚上则教书来增加收入。他用磁带作为听觉教材来教英语。在年底之前，他付清了所有债务。于是梅森先生决定横渡大西洋来旅游。他在行李上贴上一个标签后上了船。那天气压很好。他很惊讶地感觉到海上那种平和宁静的气氛。这让他又想起了他的理想！作者: gdutang 时间: 2006-4-29 16:03
12+1. At the beginning of the auto (automobile) industry, many people were attracted to Detroit. Nike was one of them. He worked in a factory. There was no available automatic in that factory. Some part of the work must be done by ax. And the ax was awkward to handle. So Nick availed himself of every opportunity to improve instruments. He would design two to three instruments a month on an average. By and by, he became an authority on it. As one of the best workers, he was awarded bonuses often. Recently, Nick was assigned to fix an engine to avert any possible damage. He drew an axis on it first then fixed it carefully. He also brought an auxiliary engine with him. But just after he finished repairing, he was aware of his mistake right away. An awful accident happened next. The engine exploded and a big fire ensued. The people who stood on the avenue tried to extinguish the fire, but it’s of no avail. Fortunately, nobody was injured. The boss awaited Nick at the meeting room. Nick didn’t want to avoid punishment. To his surprise, the boss didn’t blame him. Instead, he gave a book about aviation to Nick. And the author was the boss himself!